As thermoplastic elastomers, TPE/TPR materials are not as good as vulcanized rubber in toughness, abrasion resistance, and resilience. TPE/TPR materials are therefore usually applied in non-mechanical and engineering sectors like consumer goods industry.
However, consumer goods industry sometimes has different requirements for toughness, abrasion resistance and resilience of TPE/TPR materials. This depends on the demands for product quality from end users, or end user market determines the level of product quality and the quality of selected raw materials.
Generally, TPE/TPR suppliers with experience in the R&D and production of TPE/TPR materials can offer customers specific TPE/TPR grades on the basis of their product requirements, such as excellent toughness, resilience, and abrasion resistance, to satisfy customers’ cost-effectiveness demands. To do this, the formulas of TPE/TPR materials can be adjusted, although it is very difficult to develop the suitable TPE/TPR materials that satisfy customers’ strict requirements.
The improvement of TPE/TPR materials’ poor toughness, tensile properties, abrasion resistance, and resilience can be considered from the following aspects:
- Too many fillers are added in the production of TPR/TPRmaterials. This will reduce tensile strength, elongation and other tensile properties of TPR/TPR materials, and also have a negative effect on its resilience and abrasion resistance.
- The substrates have low molecular weight or are non-hydrogenated. Low molecular weight substrate-basedTPE/TPR materials have relatively poor resilience, tensile properties, as well as abrasion resistance. Non-hydrogenated substrate-based TPE/TPR materials have relatively poor tensile properties.
- There is a problem with TPE/TPRmaterials’ plasticization in extrusion or injection molding. The poor plasticization will lead to adverse effect on the above-mentioned physical properties.
- The compatibility ofall ingredients in TPE/TPR formula also needs to be considered. The poor compatibility can’t result in good physical properties.
- The addition of functional additivescan improve TPE/TPR materials’ abrasion resistance.
more info: http://www.becmaterials.com